When the school bell rang for summer break, what did you do? Swim like a fish? Swing as high as the stars? Swoon over your summer love? Press pause on reliving those childhood glory days for a second, because we’ve got great news. Together, we are helping kids with cancer get back to being kids — all that summer fun included. Say hello to our 2017 Summer Grants!
Dr. Hilary Marusak received a St. Baldrick’s Supportive Care Research grant for her work studying whether a martial arts therapy that focuses on meditation and breathing techniques can reduce pain — and pain’s negative long-term impact — in kids with cancer and survivors.
Today, St. Baldrick’s is proud to announce our latest round of grants — our 2017 Summer Grants, totaling $23.5 million.
These 90 grants are going to the brightest pediatric cancer researchers across the globe, so they can find better treatments and cures that kids with cancer need to live long, healthy lives.
So raise that glass of lemonade in celebration, leap through that sprinkler, do an epic belly flop onto that Slip ’N Slide, because together we are the summer’s hottest superhero duo.
Together we’re taking childhood back from cancer.
Grants are awarded to the following institutions:
- Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
- Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, Duarte, Calif.
- Boston University Medical Campus, Boston, Mass.
- Case Western Reserve University – School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio
- Children’s Cancer Therapy Development Institute, Beaverton, Ore.
- Children’s Hospital Boston, Boston, Mass.
- Children’s Hospital Colorado, Aurora, Colo.
- Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Children’s Oncology Group, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Columbia University, New York, N.Y.
- Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, Hartford, Conn.
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Mass.
- Duke University, Durham, N.C.
- Emory University, Atlanta, Ga.
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Wash.
- Huntsman Cancer Institute at the University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, N.Y.
- Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Md.
- Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital at Stanford Medicine, Stanford, Calif.
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, N.Y.
- National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Md.
- Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, Del.
- New York University School of Medicine, New York, N.Y.
- Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, Ore.
- Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, Pa.
- Seattle Children’s, Seattle, Wash.
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tenn.
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, Manhasset, N.Y.
- The Research Foundation for The State University of New York on behalf of University at Buffalo, Buffalo, N.Y.
- The Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, Ohio
- The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Ala.
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, N.C.
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Ariz.
- University of California Davis, Davis, Calif.
- University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, Calif.
- University of California, Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, Calif.
- University of Chicago Medicine, Chicago, Ill.
- University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colo.
- University of Kentucky, Lexington, Ky.
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Neb.
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pa.
- University of Rochester, Rochester, N.Y.
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
- University of Wisconsin Madison and Public Health, Madison, Wisc.
- UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas
- Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Wayne State University, Detroit, Mich.
- Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, Conn.
Help kids with cancer get back to doing what they want to do this summer — just be kids. Fund childhood cancer research today.
Read more on the St. Baldrick’s blog: