The 46 Mommas represent all mothers who make the cancer journey with their child. We come from across the U.S. and Canada and have different backgrounds, beliefs, and lifestyles, but there is one thing we all have in common – childhood cancer. We are dedicated to making a difference by shaving our heads to help fund research, and we have raised more than $1.9 million for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation since our inaugural event in 2010. Each year, a new class of 46 Mommas is welcomed to the team in an effort to empower and engage mothers of children who have or had cancer and to provide a sisterhood of support.
- In 2010 the 46 Mommas set a goal of raising $1 million for childhood cancer research and shaved in Los Angeles during Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. We were proud to stand on stage to represent The St. Baldrick’s Foundation as part of the nationally televised Stand Up to Cancer telethon.
- The 2011 team shaved in Washington, DC. The 46 Mommas visited Capitol Hill to meet with various members of Congress and advocate for the Creating Hope Act at the Second Annual Childhood Cancer Summit.
- Returning to the West Coast, the 2012 46 Mommas included cancer moms from Canada among our ranks for the first time – representing Childhood Cancer Canada. This international bond highlights that the devastation of childhood cancer is not limited to one country. The money raised by the 46 Mommas for research will benefit children all over the world.
- The 2013 46 Mommas team gathered in San Antonio for a Texas-sized celebration shave of the team reaching – and surpassing – the original $1 million dollar fundraising goal!
- The 5th annual 46 Mommas event was a “wicked awesome” shave held in July 2014 in Boston. Mayor Marty Walsh, a childhood cancer survivor himself, was able to attend.
- In 2015, the 46 Mommas held our first Midwest event and shaved in the “City of Fountains” - Kansas City, Missouri. The hospitality and generosity shown to the team resulted in another memorable and successful event.
- For our Lucky 7 Shave in 2016, there was no better place for the 46 Mommas to go than Las Vegas! We honored the roots of the first St. Baldrick's pub events and held our shave at McMullan's Irish Pub.
- In 2017, the 46 Mommas boogied back to Texas! We hit our first million in 2013 in San Antonio, and we hit our second million at our 8th national event in the Live Music Capital of the World, Austin! Speaking of capitals ...
For our 2018 event, the Mommas are going to Washington, D.C.! We are turning our attention to advocacy this year in support of the passage and funding of the Survivorship Research Access and Treatment Act (STAR). Our goal is to have at least one Momma from every state on Capitol Hill as we ask our representatives to stand with us in the search for cures and safer treatments for our children.
If you are the mother of a child who has or had cancer, and you would like to be a part of the 2018 team, email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application. If you can’t make it to the event and would still like to support the 46 Mommas, please consider making a donation or even planning your own event in support of our campaign for the St. Baldrick's Foundation. Thank you!