Honored Kid

Sydney B.

Age 8
Sydney B. Kid Photo

Location

Annandale, VA, US

Diagnosis

Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL)

Date of Diagnosis

April 2014

Status

In treatment

Treated At

INOVA Fairfax Hospital

Change your kid's logo

My Story

Sydney was diagnosed at 6 months old with Infantile Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia with the MLL-R gene rearrangement. Only about 100-150 babies are diagnosed with this every YEAR! Babies with this particular diagnosis have only around a 30% chance of surviving to 5yrs old and a relapse rate of 60-70%. She has already undergone a grueling year of chemo treatment where she spent about 40 of the first 52 weeks of treatment in the hospital. Super Sydney has become our real life hero. Managing smiles when no one should. Her big sisters are her biggest supporters, but have also had a hard year dealing with the family unit being broken with Sydney gone so often. She has 7 months  left of outpatient chemo and is due to finish in April 2016. She is currently dealing with extensive GI side effects that has her Doctors stumped.  She is having difficulty gaining weight due to this, so we are going to do more tests and scopes to try and figure out the cause. We are thankful for every single day we have with her and feel very blessed to be her parents! Thank you for supporting me and the more than 300,000 kids worldwide who will be diagnosed with cancer this year. By sharing the gifts of your time, talent and money with the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, you're supporting research to give all kids with cancer a better chance for a cure.

The Childhood Cancer Ripple Effect

Who's Honoring Me

Help Give Kids a Lifetime

Infants, children, teens and young adults are depending on us to find cures for childhood cancers — and to give survivors long and healthy lives.

Support lifesaving childhood cancer research today.

Photo submission policy

Please read the photo submission policy and accept below.

By submitting a photograph of yourself on www.StBaldricks.org, you agree to the following terms and conditions for submission of your photograph:

We strongly encourage all users to submit a before and after photo, so that donors and fellow participants can easily recognize and relate to one another.

Any photo containing cartoons, comics, celebrities, nudity, pornography, sexually explicit images or any copyrighted image (unless you own the copyright) is not permitted. This is because photos of celebrities and cartoon or comic images are generally copyrighted by the owner.

Uploading images of other people without their permission is also prohibited.

This photo submission policy applies to StBaldricks.org users. The St. Baldrick’s Foundation reserves the right to review all photos and to remove any photo for any reason at our sole discretion. If you see a photo on StBaldricks.org that you believe does not conform to this policy, email to WebQuestions@StBaldricks.org