Information for Researchers
The St. Baldrick’s Foundation welcomes grant applications for any of our funding categories, and we’re always happy to answer any questions you might have during the application process. Our grant categories are recommended by our Scientific Advisory Committee, and applications are reviewed by hundreds of volunteer reviewers.
Spring Grant CycleSpring cycle grants are funded based on scientific review. The following categories are available in the Spring Cycle. For 2019 eligibility and application information, please follow the category links below:
Fall Grant CycleFellows are funded based on scientific review. Infrastructure grants are funded based on need, expected outcomes, and local St. Baldrick’s participation, with a strong priority on geographic areas with no other St. Baldrick’s funding. The following categories are available in the Fall Cycle:
- Infrastructure Grants. For 2018 Infrastructure Grant eligibility and application information, please consult the 2018 St. Baldrick’s Foundation Grant Guidelines. 2019 Infrastructure Grant eligibility and application information will be posted when available.
- St. Baldrick’s Fellows. For 2019 St. Baldrick’s Fellowship eligibility and application information, please consult the 2019 St. Baldrick’s Foundation Fellowship Grant Guidelines. 2020 St. Baldrick’s Fellowship eligibility and application information will be posted when available.
The St. Baldrick’s Foundation Robert J. Arceci Innovation Award (both US/Canadian and International) cannot be applied for; nominations are received and the award is granted at the St. Baldrick’s Foundation discretion. Please email Grants@StBaldricks.org for more details.
Here are some quick answers to a few frequently asked questions.
How do I apply?
Grant letters of intent (LOIs) and applications may be submitted online only through proposalCENTRAL. Please review this document for guidance on creating a new proposalCENTRAL account if you do not have one.
- Spring Grant Schedule
- Open for LOI’s – December
- Deadline for LOI’s – Late January
- LOI Decisions – February
- Full Application Deadline – late March/early April
- Award Begins – July 1
- Fall Grant Schedule
- Open for LOI’s– May
- Deadline for LOI’s– early July
- LOI Decisions – August
- Full Application Deadline – late August/early September
- Award Begins – December 1 or January 1 (Infrastructure), July 1 (Fellowship)
Note: Submissions are due by 5pm EASTERN Time on all deadlines.
How do I submit the LOI/Application?
Please review this helpful document for instructions on creating an LOI/Application using proposalCENTRAL.
Am I eligible to apply?
Please consult the grant guidelines above to view all eligibility requirements for each grant type.
Where can I find the LOI instructions?
LOI Instructions are available under templates when you start the LOI in proposalCENTRAL. These instructions are also available here:
- Spring Letter of Intent (LOI) Instructions
- Spring INTERNATIONAL SCHOLAR Letter of Intent (LOI) Instructions
- Fall Infrastructure Letter of Intent (LOI) Instructions
- Fall St. Baldrick's Fellowship Letter of Intent (LOI) Instructions
I am on proposalCENTRAL and I do not see any applications open.
Applications are posted on proposalCENTRAL twice a year for the Spring and Fall grant cycles. Spring grant applications are generally available on proposalCENTRAL in December. Fall grant applications are generally available on proposalCENTRAL in May. To be notified when applications are available online and when they are due, contact Grants@StBaldricks.org and ask to be placed on the notification list.
I am trying to submit my application and the system will not allow me to submit.
There are two main reasons you may not be able to submit your application.
- The application needs to be Validated. “Validate” checks for required items and attachments, and you will not be able to submit if required items and/or attachments are missing. Once you have successfully validated your application, you should be able to submit.
- The deadline has passed. Pending applications can be viewed and edited even after the deadline has passed; however, applications cannot be submitted. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure and to verify that the online proposal is received before 5:00 p.m. EASTERN TIME by the deadline date.
I am submitting an application on behalf of a researcher. Do I apply using my proposalCENTRAL account?
The Principal Investigator must start the LOI or Application. However once a proposal is begun, access for application submittal can be given to other users, such as collaborators, assistants or grants and contracts staff. More information is available here.
I am trying to submit our LOI/application and realized the institution’s contact information is wrong in Proposal Central. Can you update this?
Unfortunately St. Baldrick’s is unable to access and edit institutional profiles in proposalCENTRAL. Institutions are registered on proposalCENTRAL by institution officials, who have the ability to log-in and update the information associated with that institution (here is more information on registering an institution).
How do I know my application was successfully submitted?
The proposalCENTRAL system will email a confirmation that the application was submitted. Once your application is submitted you may view it by logging-in and accessing the “Submitted” link under the “Manage Proposals” tab.
How will I be notified that my proposal was awarded?
St. Baldrick’s will contact you via email through the proposalCENTRAL system, to let you know of the final funding decision. Spring Cycle grants are notified before June 30th, Fall Cycle Infrastructure grants are notified early October, and Fall Fellowship grants are notified by March. Notifications might be by phone; be sure to include the best number to reach the PI directly, in your profile on proposalCENTRAL.
How do I upload my award deliverables?
Please refer to these instructions for navigating your awarded grant, including uploading your award deliverables.
Still have questions? Contact us:
We’d be happy to add you to our mailing list so you can receive notifications for application deadlines. If you're interested, email Grants@StBaldricks.org and let us know.