This time of year, it’s hard to visit any corner of the internet without seeing Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales — millions of dollars in savings prompting billions of dollars in sales. But today is Giving Tuesday, the day we take some of those savings and give back to worthy causes that are meaningful to us. Worthy causes such as funding childhood cancer research.
Giving Tuesday — a movement that, last year alone, raised more than $380 million around the world for charitable organizations — is an important day for St. Baldrick’s. As the world’s largest private funder of childhood cancer research grants, we rely on the generosity of donors and volunteers like you to achieve our goal — to fund the best pediatric cancer research and make pediatric cancers a thing of the past.
This year, we’ve set a goal of raising $150,000 on Giving Tuesday to save kids with cancer.
Sobering Childhood Cancer Statistics
Whether or not you’re able to donate today, you can make an impact by sharing some childhood cancer statistics that help keep us focused on the mission.
As we work to #DFYchildhoodCancers together, consider the following:
- Worldwide, every two minutes a child is diagnosed with cancer.
- 1 in 5 children diagnosed with cancer in the U.S. will not survive.
- Of those who do survive, 99 percent suffer long-term health issues from treatment by age 50.
There are some cancers — such as DIPG, diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma — for which there is no known cure. Tomorrow, you’ll hear about Aiden, a boy who died from DIPG. Aiden’s Mom, Erica, shares her family’s story to highlight how important it is to help fund pediatric cancer research, to help find cures for diseases such as DIPG, by supporting St. Baldrick’s.
Show Your Support this #GivingTuesday
Instead of telling your friends how much you saved on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, tell them how you’re helping save kids with cancer by supporting St. Baldrick’s. Here are two easy ways to do it:
- Start a Facebook Fundraiser. It’s quite easy to start your own fundraiser to gather donations from your friends — and it’s an ideal way to share about a specific family or Honored Kid you want to show support to this Giving Tuesday.
- Download St. Baldrick’s shareable images and use them to spread the word on social media. Let the world know you are supporting kids with cancer this Giving Tuesday. Be sure to use #GivingTuesday #StBaldricks and #DFYchildhoodCancers in your posts.
Make this #GivingTuesday Count
When you give to St. Baldrick’s on Giving Tuesday, you don’t just give to one institution — you fund the 376 institutions treating kids with cancer across the U.S. and beyond.
Because of donors like you, St. Baldrick’s has been able to fund more than $282 million in lifesaving research, through 1,506 grants in 29 countries, but we still have a long way to go.
Donate today and help #DFYchildhoodCancers.
Read more on the St. Baldrick’s blog: